I realized today that I had neglected to post on our meal last week too, so I am SOOO fired!
I decided a few weeks ago to really bite the bullet (where does that term come from?) and join Weight Watchers to focus on and keep track of all the food I am eating. Not to worry though, the new program that they have is super flexible, so the recipes that we make won't be affected at all (unless we cook something with half a pound of lard, etc... but we never did that type of cooking anyways).
The main recipe of last week was Shiitake-Chicken Stir-Fry, and it actually turned out pretty good. There weren't any fresh shiitake mushrooms at the grocery store I went to, so I bought dried mushrooms and let them sit in water for a few hours and compensated with extra mushrooms as well. Honestly I wasn't crazy about the 're-hydrated' mushrooms, so in the future I would substitue other mushrooms in there instead of dried ones.
My side was also a WW recipe, it was a Asparagus with Shallot Mustard Cream:
Shannon made a side of Kimchee to go with her stirfry:
Happy Cooking!
Chef Steph


I can't believe I found fresh shiitaki mushrooms in Amarillo but you couldn't find them in the "big city"! Must have been backwards day. I was sorry to hear that the dehydrated mushrooms didn't work out; I was thinking that might be a great pantry staple going forward. Turns out fresh shiitakes aren't all that, either. They weren't bad they just weren't super-duper-special. In my own personal "battle of the mushrooms" the portobello is still champion.
ReplyDeleteThe stir fry was delicious! I can't bear to put unseasoned chicken in a hot pan so I seasoned mine up with Garam Masala - Robert's and my new favorite spice. It's Indian, but don't be scared - it just tastes like a cross between cumin and cinnamon. (I wish this blog had a scratch-and-sniff feature.)
Side dish: Kimchi
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/quick_kimchi.html
Kimchi (or kimchee) is like a Korean cole slaw. I mixed it together and threw it in the fridge to let the vinegar break down the vegetables a bit. It was tasty and tart and kind of sweet... a nice change from the typical dinner salad.
Cheers!
Chef Shannon